It seems like a good idea to check in with the motivation department now and again, so the absence of studio time has enabled me to re-evaluate my motivation for making these paintings and why the paintings look like they do. I have drawn some conclusions and uncovered other questions.
As expected, studio time has been hard to come buy for the past week due to snow. I finally got to sink my teeth into the "jailbreak" painting enough for it not to seem like a huge, abstract problem. It looks pretty terrible right now, but that's how they always start.
I decided that the small "slide tackle molotov" painting is indeed finished. I just can't consider adding anything to it without it seeming like an afterthought. There is, however, a tree that gets lost in the landscape. I can fix that later.