Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Attack of the Maths!



Today I did the math and realized that Gericault was thirty-three years old when he died. Meaning that he painted Raft of the Medusa when he was thirty. I mean, I know it's not a race, but come on! Have you seen that thing?!

I tend to think about these things when faced with an oncoming year. This year was great in a lot of ways, but in terms of evaluating my progress I tend to pull in people like Gericault and Courbet. Not fair at all I realize. It's just how my brain works.

Finally, instead of the obligatory year end list, I am just going to stick on a bunch of words, names, and titles that inspired in aught nine: Micachu and the Shapes, Dustin Yellin at Robert Miller, Brooklyn hiccups, David Sylvan's Manofon, surviving Jandek at the Velvet Lounge, Los Angeles, Cape Henlopen, King Khan preforming in any guise, Four Ring Circus, Sunny Day In Glasgow, Metropak, The High Line, Gorky at PMA, Peanut Wilson, Billy Lee Riley, any other alsoran 50's Rockabilly, A Moveable Feast, friends near and far and nowhere.