Tuesday, September 11, 2012

A Grip of Paintings

Here are some hastily photographed new paintings I had to take mainly for documentation reasons. Anyhow the image above is View of Drapery Mountain (Longing). All painting here are oil on canvas, 16x20 inches (or 20x16 depending) and completed in the year of our Lord two thousand and twelve.

 This 'un here is View onto Drapery Mountain.

And you remember this one, correct? It is Eruption at Drapery Mountain. In this raking light you can see how the paint piles up because I didn't take the time to prepare the canvas well, resulting in a three week fight for dominance over the painting. I won eventually. Just to spite it I painted that dead tree on the left.

Conceptually things here are getting more and more circuitous. As things often are I suppose. Lots of reassigning matter, and how that bares on meaning, that is, intelligibility, and aesthetic ideas of representation and landscape.

For the bibliophiles out there I am reading: Klaus Ottmann's Genius Decision. Highly recommended.



No comments: