Saturday, July 2, 2011

Whats With All That Beattitude

The above Gregory Gillespie painting is at NPG within the "Capital Portraits" show. Do yourself a favor and go see it. Accept no substitutions. Do not let pixels speak for it.

I saw a show of his paintings at Forum about a year ago. That was the first time I had ever seen such a concentration of his work. He quickly became a patron saint of my studio. His paintings mostly range from weird to nuts, all contained within a sensibly structured and depicted tableau. More or less. Also the paint is handled in about every conceivable manner.

I also started reading A Fine Disregard by Kirk Varnedoe. I should have read it ten years ago while a grad student. If, per chance, you haven't read it either I highly recommend it. It is out of print, but I am sure that you can track one down.

Have a good 4th.

No comments: