Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Rebel Rebel



While carefully modeling some cowboy thigh yesterday my mind wandered over to how I was recently asked about what I thought of that review in the Philadelphia Inquirer. I hadn't really taken much time to consider it until now. At the time I just thought, "Oh, terrific! A nice review!"

There was a morsel to extract from this review that has to do with narrative and my expectations (sometimes unfairly cynical) of an audience. The reviewer asked of the Assassin painting if there was a coup taking place; later referring to recent events in Honduras. The point is that she drew her own conclusions from the parts in the painting which then corresponded to the real world. That is exactly how it should be. Like Michael Crichton wrote, " the artwork stands at a midpoint between the audience and the artist."

image

No comments: