Monday, May 11, 2009

What Sort of Defilement Do You Mean, I Wonder?


As part of my research for this project I am reading The Infancy Gospel of James. An apocryphal book where the story of Joachim is told, however, the book is primarily about Mary.

I don't know that the translation I am reading is particularly great. I should read a different translation just to satisfy the skeptic in me. None the less it is tremendously interesting reading. As simply a story, one begins to pick up on these themes and references that aren't explicitly chauvinist, but pretty chauvinist when you stop to consider them. Here is one from chapter 8:

"When she turned twelve, a group of priests took coucil together , saying, 'Look, Mary has been in the temple of the Lord for twelve years." (already a continuity problem as Mary went to the temple at age 3 in this story. And sent to Joseph at 16.) It continues, "What should we do about her now, so that she does not defile the sanctuary of the Lord God?"

No comments: