Tuesday, January 6, 2009

What to do when the weather looks like Dublin


I finally finished Portrait of The Artist as a Young Man. It is a mostly terrific and manageable book. I had some momentum problems with his narrative flights, as well as trying to read two other books at the same time. While reading it, though, I realized that my notions of ever attempting Ulysses or Finnegans Wake are unrealistic.

There are some interesting notes about visual perceptions at the end of pages 248 - 251. There are some more reflections on art, beauty and truth beginning at the end of page 239. Not that these arguments haven't been made throughout philosophy suppose, but it is interesting how in 1914 he is talking about perception in pieces or 'essences'. I always thought that was more of a Sartre thing. But what do I know about it?

No comments: