Saturday, January 24, 2009

Who Want To Be A Milliner?


Like the rest of America, I saw Slumdog Millionaire this weekend. BEFORE it won an Oscar, but after NPR gave it a mention.

Here is one of my philosophical digressions about a detail of the movie:

One of the themes I really got into was the structure of the story and what it says about learning. The film begins with a question then moves into the life experience of 'Jamal', what he saw throughout his childhood in the slums of Mumbai, which provided the answers. All of them. I don't know if I have ever seen such a close approximation of how information is assembled in the mind, and the fluid, all at once development of memory. Learning -as in 'out and about' not 'in the classroom' is like taking a continuous breath. No "isms". Those come later.

No comments: