Thursday, December 4, 2008

Variety is the Spice of Life


Today I got to see Ralitza Patcheva perform J.S. Bach's Goldberg Variations, at the MLK Library. This is a favorite piece of music, and YES because of Glenn Gould's interpretation. Initially that is, until I encountered Uri Caine's riotous, klezmer-gospel-jazz-dance arrangements. Ralitza's performance was straight ahead and beautiful.

You may have already discovered that I love music. Especially Bach because I think he was perhaps, and maybe composers as a whole, was the first to engage Deconstructionist thinking before anyone else. That's a lie, but by that I mean taking single parts of music and extrapolating endlessly, not unlike your electronic musician friends of today working with their found sounds and their Pro Tools. The structures in the music are intricately related and in calculable intervals, which is totally my thing.


This was the last performance until February. Remind me to remind you.

No comments: