Monday, December 1, 2008

Photo, Flash, Focus, Record



I tried to take some Stephen Shore inspired photos of my Thanksgiving, but clearly that isn't realistic, and therefore, none shall be posted. 

I watched Truffaut's The 400 Blows, which got my Modernist tendencies all in a rapture. Particularly a shot early in the movie when Antoine sits in front of a mirror in his mother's room. It reminds me of the above painting, which was more derived from Giovanni Di Paolo than Truffaut, but I can't lie, Truffaut's point of view -I suppose "New Wave" in general- is really seductive. I am sure it has made a huge impact on me without having to be too explicit. 

The 400 Blows is visually complex (I thought of Cartier-Bresson immediately), but the story is pretty poignant for anyone who has ever felt they were even a little out of sync with their surroundings, or their peers. 

No comments: