Monday, November 3, 2008

One AND The Other Monday

I started reading a copy of Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, with a Gino Severini self-portrait (shown above) on the cover. This portrait struck me as being very similar to my style of "cubism" with the still-life paintings, particularly with the Thirty Year Apparatus Painting-which is a year old now.

I had always thought of myself as more of a Braque, or Gris man. Live and learn. This also made me wonder why I had even mentioned anything about "the last still-life ever". I don't know why I suddenly had the urge to do only one kind of painting at a time. Oh! Right! Because I usually only do one thing at a time. But there is no reason why I can't paint some cowboys then some cups and boxes, is there? I thought not. Right now I am in a cowboy mood. I will probably be in a cowboy mood next month too. But after that maybe some dusty cups. Who knows.

No comments: