Thursday, April 3, 2008

What My Studio Looks Like Without Me


I have taken a few days away from the studio having just finished the Uccello painting plus the continuation of a lot of paperwork, image gathering, and formatting.

My Cinecitta grant is due next Wednesday, and as I was writing the grant I realized how weird the project sounds. I have written some strange project proposals before to no avail. So I think I should include some of my preliminary drawings to help everyone out.

It's pretty helpful to be able to live with these preliminary drawings for so long. Instead of figuring out everything in the painting, I can sit with the drawings and think about how to better make the paintings. With the still-lifes I usually use the drawing to build up a structure, arrange a few planes and objects- then figure out the rest as I paint. The next still-life, by the way, is shaping up to be very much a return to Chinese landscape.

I am also going up to York, PA next week to give a couple of lectures about my work. Then a swift resumption of studio activity and cowboy decapitations!

Poets.org has a poem of the day throughout April! Today's is brought to you by Jane Mead. I really like it.

No comments: