Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Orwell's notes on poverty



I have been tearing through Down and Out in Paris and London. I haven't gotten out of the Paris section yet, but already there are many great insights into being poverty stricken. For instance, DID YOU KNOW...that with a little shoe polish on your ankle you can disguise the fact that you have holes in your socks! AND if you put pepper on your bedclothes the bugs will run into your neighbor's room. Ahh the life of a plongeur. I have never been quite as down and out, but I do still look for the good awnings, overhangs, and subway grates just in case.

Oh, and my shipment of paint arrived yesterday so I'm back in business. I ran out of white on Monday. I think Williamsburg's Mars Red has changed. I know it was unavailable for what seemed like an eternity.

No comments: